New Lanark, an 18th century restored cotton mill village on the banks of the River Clyde, was inscribed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 2001.
New Lanark was created as a cotton spinning village in 1786 by David Dale. Dale built the mills there to take advantage of the water power provided by the river.
Under the management of Robert Owen, Dale’s son-in-law and a social reformer, New Lanark was transformed. Owen improved social conditions and facilities for workers and their families. This led to a number of social improvements including progressive education, more humane working practices and factory reform.
The New Lanark mills operated until 1968. In 1975, the New Lanark Conservation Trust was founded to prevent demolition of the village. New Lanark is now a major tourist attraction and still a living community in the care of the New Lanark Trust.